Rate/Trend Comparison Tutorial
- Learning about this Graph
- Creating a Rate/Trend Graph
- Modifying a Rate/Trend Graph
- Accessing the Underlying Data
- Exporting Data from a Rate/Trend Comparison Table
- Copying a Rate/Trend Comparison Table into another Program
- Interpreting a Rate/Trend Graph
- Printing the Graph
Learning about this Graph
If you would like to read about this graph, what it contains, and where the data comes from, click on the About this Table link to the right of the selections.
Creating a Rate/Trend Graph
- Select the data you want to display in the drop down boxes at the top of the window.
- After you've made all of the selections you want, click on the Generate Graph button located under the drop down lists. The new Graph containing the data you just selected will appear below the data selection boxes.
Note: The selection you make in some drop down boxes may effect what you can do in other drop down boxes. For example, if you are creating a Rate/Trend Comparison by State/County and you select Alaska as the sate, you cannot select counties (the data in Alaska is not available at the county level). Similarly, if you select a state, you can only compare the state to the Unites States. If you select a country you can compare the create to the state or the United States.
Modifying a Rate/Trend Graph
You modify a Rate/Trend by creating a new Graph. Following the procedures under Creating a Rate/Trend Graph.
Accessing the Underlying Data
Once you have created a Rate/Trend Comparison graph, you can view the data that was used to generate the bars. Use the following procedure to view this data.
- Click on the Data Table button located above the graph to view this table.
- The data table will appear in a new browser window that includes the estimated annual percentage change for each segment of a line and both observed and estimated values for each year included on a line.
Copying a Rate/Trend Comparison Graph into another Program
Use the following procedure to put a copy of the 5-Year Rate Change graph into another program
- Right mouse click on the 5-Year Rate Change graph.
- Select Copy from the pop-up menu.
- Open the destination program (e.g., PowerPoint, Word, Word Perfect).
- Select Paste from the File menu, press Ctrl-V, or right click and select Paste from the pop-up menu.
Exporting Data from a Rate/Trend Comparison Graph
You can export the data from a 5-Year Rate Change graph so it can be imported into another program such as SAS or Excel. Use the following procedure to export the data from a 5-Year Rate Changes graph.
- Click on the Data Table link.
- Scroll to the bottom of the window.
- Click on the Semicolon Delimited Data.
- Follow the instructions on the screen.
Interpreting a Rate/Trend Comparison Graph
A text description has been provided to assist in understanding the Rate/Trend Comparison Graph. Use the following procedure to access this text description.
- Click on the Interpret link located to the left of the graph.
- The text description will appear in a new browser window.
Printing the Rate/Trend Comparison Table/Graph
If you select Print within your browser or press the print button, the printed result will be just the table, graph or map without the selection controls on the page.