5-Year Rate Changes Tutorial
- Learning about this Graph
- Creating a 5-Year Rate Change Graph
- Modifying a Graph
- Accessing the Underlying Data
- Exporting Data from a 5-Year Rate Change Graph
- Copying a 5-Year Rate Change Graph into another Program
- Interpreting the Graph
- Printing the Graph
Learning about this Graph
If you would like to read about this graph, what the graph contains, and where the data comes from, click on the About this Graph link to the right of the selections.
Creating a 5-Year Rate Change Graph
To create a 5-Year Rate Change graph, follow the steps below
- Select the data you want to display in the drop down boxes above the sample graph.
- After you've made all of the selections, click on the Create Graph button located under the drop down lists. The sample graph will be replaced with a new graph containing the data you just selected.
Note: The selection of items from the drop down boxes may affect other drop down boxes. For example, if you select "United States" under the drop down list for Area, you will only be able to select "Mortality" under the drop down list for Data whereas if you select "Atlanta" under the drop down list for Area you will only be able to select "Incidence" under the drop down list for Data.
Modifying a Graph
You can modify a 5-Year Rate Change Graph by creating a new graph. Following the procedures under Creating a 5-Year Rate Change Graph.
Accessing the Underlying Data
Once you have created a 5-Year Rate Change Graph, you can view the data that was used to generate the bars. Use one of the following procedures to view this data
Accessing through the data table icon
- Click on the Data Table button located above the graph to view this table.
- The data table will appear in a new browser window that includes the annual percentage change and the associated 95% confidence interval for each of the cancer sites.
Accessing through the bars on the graph
- Hover the mouse over a bar on the graph and click.
- The data table will appear in a new browser window that includes the annual percentage change and the associated 95% confidence interval for each of the cancer sites. The data for the bar that was clicked is highlighted in yellow.
Exporting Data from the Map
To export the data on a table to be used in Excel, SAS, or another program, click on the Export Data button located above the Map and follow the instructions on screen.
Copying a 5-Year Rate Change Graph into another Program
Use the following procedure to put a copy of the 5-Year Rate Change graph into another program
- Right mouse click on the 5-Year Rate Change graph.
- Select Copy from the pop-up menu.
- Open the destination program (e.g., PowerPoint, Word, Word Perfect).
- Select Paste from the File menu, press Ctrl-V, or right click and select Paste from the pop-up menu.
Interpreting the Graph
A text description has been provided to assist in understanding the 5-Year Rate Changes Graph. Use the following procedure to access this text description.
- Click on the Interpret link located above the graph.
- The text description will appear in a new browser window.
Printing the Graph
If you select Print within your browser or press the print button, the printed result will be just the table, graph or map without the selection controls on the page.